Clerical abuse scandal makes headlines this week across US

Clerical abuse scandal makes headlines this week across US

Clerical abuse scandal makes headlines this week across US

Attorney Jeff Anderson tallies sexual abuse perpetrators before a news conference, in New York, Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019. Wednesday marked the start of a one-year litigation window in New York allowing people to file civil lawsuits that had previously been barred by the state's statute of limitations, which was one of the nation's most restrictive before lawmakers relaxed it this year. (Credit: Richard Drew/AP.)

In addition to a tidal wave of clergy abuse related lawsuits this week, three U.S. bishops are under investigation.

NEW YORK — In addition to a tidal wave of clergy abuse cases that were filed as New York’s “look back” window took effect on Wednesday, this week also brought about new scrutiny for three members of the American hierarchy.

A court spokesman said that 427 new suits were filed by the close of business on Wednesday from victims taking advantage of the Child Victim’s Act, which lifts the statute of limitations for a yearlong period for abuse claims against the Church and other institutions.

By the time the window closes next August, that number is estimated to be over a thousand.

Among the cases brought on Wednesday are claims that Bishop Emeritus Howard Hubbard abused a minor during the 1990s. Hubbard was the head of the Diocese of Albany for 37 years and retired in 2014.

Hubbard, now 80, has denied the allegations, and in a statement on Wednesday the diocese said the charge is “extremely distressing” and that “it is critically important to remember that, like anyone else, Bishop Emeritus Hubbard enjoys the presumption of innocence, and we will withhold any judgment until all the facts are known and this case is resolved.”

The diocese also said it was following the new Vatican guidelines, Vos estis lux mundi, which Pope Francis implemented in May to offer directives on how to handle abuse cases related to bishops.

“Bishop Scharfenberger has informed the Papal Nuncio as well as Cardinal Timothy Dolan, who serves as the Metropolitan Archbishop for the New York Province, of the legal claim against Bishop Hubbard,” said a statement from the diocese of Albany. “After his conversation with the Cardinal today, Bishop Scharfenberger reported that Cardinal Dolan urged full cooperation with the investigation, expressed gratitude to Pope Francis for the clear directives in Vos Estis, and offered prayers for all involved.”

Meanwhile, Bishop Robert Guglielmone of Charleston, South Carolina — the state’s only diocese — was named in an abuse case filed in New York by a victim alleging that he was abused by Guglielmone 40 years ago in a parish in Amityville, New York.

Guglielmone has denied the allegations and in a statement from his lawyer, notes that the plaintiff has admitted to making up the claims in an effort to reap a financial settlement.

Vicars general of the Diocese of Charleston, Monsignors Richard D. Harris and D. Anthony Droze, also released a statement saying Guglielmone “has been a trusted leader of our diocese for more than 10 years. We have the utmost faith in his truthfulness and in his innocence.”

Meanwhile, in Cheyenne, Wyoming, retired Bishop Joseph Hart is likely to face criminal charges for sexual abuse. Hart, who is also facing a Vatican penal process, is the subject of a recently reopened criminal investigation for abuse during his time as bishop of the diocese, where he served from 1976 – 2001.

RELATED: Cheyenne police recommend criminal charges against retired Wyoming bishop

The diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, where Hart served as a priest for two decades before being named a bishop, has already settled claims against Hart from at least ten victims of abuse.

Should charges be brought against Hart, this will mark the first time a U.S. Catholic bishop has been criminally prosecuted for sexual abuse.

As scores of cases are being brought against New York’s eight Catholic dioceses, Church officials are also promoting the fact that victims are eligible to take advantage of the Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Programs (IRCP). The IRCP programs, which are voluntary and often rely on a lower standard of evidence, take place outside of the court system.

To date, in the archdiocese of New York alone, more than $66 million dollars have been paid out to 335 victims.

Follow Christopher White on Twitter: @cwwhite212 


Crux is dedicated to smart, wired and independent reporting on the Vatican and worldwide Catholic Church. That kind of reporting doesn’t come cheap, and we need your support. You can help Crux by giving a small amount monthly, or with a onetime gift. Please remember, Crux is a for-profit organization, so contributions are not tax-deductible.

Latest Stories

Most Read

Crux needs your monthly support

to keep delivering the best in smart, wired and independent Catholic news.

Latest Stories