- Jul 4, 2020
Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio of Brooklyn is denying a second allegation of abuse.
On Thursday the Vatican announced that Bishop Joseph Binzer of Cincinnati, who faces allegations of failure to report the suspicious behavior of a priest removed from ministry, has stepped down from his post.
A reporting system accepting sexual misconduct allegations against U.S. bishops and eparchs is in place. Called the Catholic Bishops Abuse Reporting Service, or CBAR, the system became operational March 16.
Jesuit Father Hans Zollner, one of the world’s leading experts on safeguarding minors, said the church is suffering “institutional trauma” from clerical sexual abuse, trauma that it must learn to integrate into its theology and understanding of salvation if it is to overcome it.
Attorney Mitchell Garabedian says he still intends to file a lawsuit against Brooklyn Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio for clergy sex abuse.
The Vatican has ordered an investigation of a sexual abuse allegation against Brooklyn Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio, who was previously named by Pope Francis to investigate the Church’s response to clergy sexual abuse in Buffalo.