- Jul 8, 2020
A key victim in the Chilean sex abuse scandal said he felt his story was finally heard after an hours-long meeting with a Vatican sex-crimes investigator on Saturday, the same day Pope Francis revived his lapsed sex abuse advisory commission amid criticism of how he is handling the scandal.
Pope Francis revived his lapsed sex abuse advisory commission by naming new members Saturday, after coming under fire for his overall handling of the scandal and his support for a Chilean bishop accused by victims of witnessing and ignoring their abuse.
Juan Carlos Cruz will testify on Feb. 17, 2018 before the Vatican’s onetime sex crimes investigator in a spinoff case that has raised questions about Pope Francis’s already shaky track record on combatting sex abuse and cover-up.
Marie Collins, who was a founding member of Pope Francis’s Commission for the Protection of Minors but resigned in early 2017, says his handling of a letter from a Chilean abuse survivor has “definitely undermined credibility, trust, and hope” in the pontiff.
In recent decades, Pope Francis said on Friday, the Catholic Church has been forced to own up to its own failures to protect children because of the clerical sexual abuse scandals, and cannot shirk their responsibility “before God, before the victims and before public opinion.” As a result, the pope said, the Church is obligated to share its experience and collaborate with all forces seeking to promote child safety.
When abuse survivor Marie Collins resigned last week from the pope’s anti-abuse advisory board she cited the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith’s failure to implement a tribunal for trying bishops who cover up abuse. But was that idea actually scrapped, or simply modified to achieve the same result?